Low Ball Job Offers
2nd September 2020
Over the past few months I’ve seen and heard about low ball offers to candidates.
If a company has a need and they think you are the right person, then the package should meet expectations.
My thoughts on how to respond.
– Don’t take it personally.
You already know this but, reminder: no employer would ever bother to woo you, complete the interviews and generate an offer – only to insult their top candidate.
– Do not let your anger or hurt feelings show.
This is the time for gathering your thoughts, making some solid decisions, and crafting a pitch-perfect response. It’s the time to showcase your composure and grace in moments of disappointment. It is not the time for acting like a prima donna or a fragile flower.
– Analyse the gap
– Analyse the market
– Make the counter
That should be:
– An upbeat restatement of your interest in joining the firm.
– A brief comment that, while the offer is below your range, you would like to propose something to close that gap.
– Details of your counter.
– A thank you and reaffirmation of your interest.