Tips to Help with Job Hunt During COVID-19
19th August 2020
I’m often asked for tips to help with the job hunt during COVID-19.
Here a summary:
– The hiring process takes much longer than usual. Be patient.
– Expect to apply for 10 times the number of jobs that you had planned to before Covid-19. I’m gonna call it out, lots of firms have job adverts they paid for pre-Covid, posted for pipelining purposes.
– Set aside time each day to search and apply for jobs. It’s a job in itself.
– Use your network, it’s gold.
– Your online profile has to look slick. So many people forget that.
– Block your FB and Insta pages, nobody needs to see your evening antics.
– If you are open to temporary work then make that clear.
– Tailor your CV to the job you’re applying, as much as possible.
– Set job alerts with online search engines. It’s easy.
– Practice a virtual interview before one happens.
– Tell people what your USP is. Practice that, over and over again.
Pretty much all interviews, especially first stage are on video, be prepared:
– Be aware of your surroundings.
– Dress professionally.
– Be sure the background isn’t messy.
– Check the tech ahead of time, including sound and video.
– Get away from distractions, including pets and kids.